Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Wikipedia

How easy or difficult was it to find articles that needed editing? Were the errors you found factual or grammar / spelling?

Oh, Wikipedia. Its greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. So many people! So many ideas! So much pop-culture garbage.

Looking around for something to edit seemed rather daunting. Editing someone else's writing isn't my strong suit. After thinking (too) hard about something I could add to, I decided to go with the most obvious answer first- the Calgary Public Library entry.

What a mess! Yikes.

The CPL article looked like it was written in a hurry and is missing citations galore. After reading through the editing help pages- and looking at HTML codes on more established pages- I added one little reference to the CPL article, linking to an annual report. My only other experience with HTML code has been on flickr where it is much more clearly laid out for those of us who know nothing about these things. There you just copy and paste and type in little bits of titles and such. It was my first time editing an article on Wikipedia and although it wasn't too compelling at first, I might try it again!



Count Chocula's Chocolate Food

No comments:

Post a Comment